Saturday 8 June 2019
International scientific conference "Historical, Cultural, Ethnic, Religious and Political Ties of the Crimea with the Mediterranean Region and the Countries of the East"
On June 6th-8th, 2019, the Third international academic conference "Historical, Cultural, Interethnic, Religious, and Political Relations of the Crimea with the Mediterranean Region and Countries of the East" was held in the State Historical and Archeological Museum-Reserve "Chersonesus Taurian" (Sevastopol) dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the Institute of Oriental Studies and the fifth anniversary of the reunification of the Crimea with Russia.
The conference was organized by the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the State Historical and Archeological Museum-Reserve “Chersonese of Tauris”, Sevastopol State University. The conference was included in the “Complex of measures to restore historical justice, political, social, and spiritual revival of the Armenian, Bulgarian, Greek, Crimean Tatar, and German peoples subjected to illegal deportation and political repression on the basis of national and other grounds” of the Russian Federation Government. This academic event was held with the financial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Contract No. 19-09-20073 / 19).
Y.B. Altabaev, the Chairman of the Legislative Assembly of the City of Sevastopol, opened solemnly the conference. These officials were present at the conference opening: E.A. Morozov, the Director of the State Historical and Archeological Museum-Reserve “Chersonese of Tauris”, V.D. Nechaev, Rector of Sevastopol State University, A.K. Alikberov, Deputy Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies, I.A. Chikarev, Director of the Institute of Social Sciences and International Relations of SevSU, L.V. Sedikova, Deputy Director of Research of the State Historical and Archeological Museum-Reserve “Chersonese Tavrichesky”.
N.G. Romanova, the Deputy Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies, read a welcoming speech to the conference participants on behalf of Professor V.V. Naumkin, the President of the Institute of Oriental Studies, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and Professor V.P. Androsov, the Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
This important scientific event was reported widely in the Russian media.
The conference was attended by over 110 people from 37 institutions of Russia (Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Abkhazia) and by foreign scientific elite (England, Hungary, Germany, China, Switzerland), including scientists and specialists, representatives of higher educational institutions, museums, young researchers, as well as invited guests.
By the opening of the conference, an articles collection by the participants of this scientific forum was published in two volumes.
The meetings were held for three days. The main issues for discussion were:
- development of national cultures, political connections, languages, and historical concepts of the Crimea and the Mediterranean region; interethnic and political relations of the peoples of Crimea in the past and present - unity in diversity;
- empires in the struggle for the Crimea (Roman, Byzantine, Golden Horde, Ottoman, Russian);
- written sources on the history of the Crimea, the Mediterranean region and countries of the East; historiography and cartography of the Black Sea and Mediterranean waters;
- political, commercial, and cultural ties of the Crimea with the states of the Mediterranean region and the countries of the East in the antiquity, the Middle Ages and the modern age; Crimea and the Great Silk Road;
- archeology, underwater archeology, numismatics and epigraphy of the Crimea: artifacts of international economic and cultural relations;
- marine archeology: the development of underwater archaeological research off the coast of the Crimea, results and prospects.
As a result of the exchange of views, the participants of this scientific event made the following decisions:
- to organize the conference at a high standard;
- to conduct this scientific forum annually;
- to conduct the conference research at a high scientific and methodological level;
- to search for grants for this scientific event in the state and public structures, considering that the conference is of great scientific, social, and political importance.
Within the framework of this conference, a discussion section was held for undergraduates of Sevastopol State University. During the discussion section students had the opportunity to listen to the speeches of scientists and to take part in the discussion of current issues related to marine research off the Crimea coast.
There was also a photo exhibition dedicated to the joint underwater-archeological expeditions in the Crimea of the Institute of Oriental Studies, the State Historical-Archeological Museum-Reserve “Chersonese Tavrichesky”, and the Sevastopol State University (V.V. Lebedinsky, the author of the concept, compiled by Y. Pronin).