Thursday 27 June 2019
The round table "On the prospects of cooperation of Russia with international Islamic organizations" was held in the IOS RAS
On June 27, 2019, a round table “Prospects of cooperation of Russia with international Islamic organizations” was held at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
It was attended by:
- Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences Naumkin Vitaly Vyacheslavovich, President of IOS RAS;
- Ph.D. Vasily Aleksandrovich Kuznetsov, Head of the Center for Arab and Islamic Studies, IOS RAS;
- Botashev Rasul Borisovich, member of the Committee on International Affairs of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation (the deputy of the State Duma elected from the Karachay-Cherkess Republic, United Russia);
- Omarov Gadzhimurad Zairbekovich, member of the Committee on International Affairs of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation (State Duma deputy elected from the Republic of Bashkortostan);
- Popov Veniamin Viktorovich, Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador;
- Dr. Yakovlev Alexander Ivanovich;
- Dr. Kosach Grigory;
- Ph.D. Sarabyev Alexey Viktorovich;
- Ph.D. Roshchin, Mikhail Yuryevich;
- Mufti of the Spiritual Administration of Muslims of Moscow and the Central Region of the Moscow Muftiyat Albir Hazrat Krganov (Krganov Albir Rifkatovich);
- Priest Dmitry V. Safonov - Ph.D., Candidate of Theology, DECR secretary for interfaith relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, Executive Secretary of the Interreligious Council of Russia, academic secretary of the Church-wide postgraduate and doctorate them. SV. Cyril and Methodius ...
The main focus of the discussions was the prospects for interaction between Russia and the League of the Islamic World (LIM).
Participants of the event noted that the previously existing negative perception of the LIM and similar organizations in Russia, where their activities were viewed as destructive and contrary to the national interests of the country, is changing today.
First of all, this is due to a change in the policies of these organizations themselves. Today, they strive to demonstrate moderation, tolerance, and openness towards other religions.
The positive assessments of the Russian experience of peaceful coexistence of religions expressed by the Secretary-General of LIM Muhammad Abdalkarim Isa during his visit to Russia in the spring of 2019 and the meeting with Patriarch Kirill scheduled for July thus fit into the general policy of LIM. It is characteristic that as early as 2018, during the visit of Cardinal Jean Louis Toran to Saudi Arabia, cooperation agreements were signed between the LIM and the Holy See.
During the discussion, the Round Table participants exchanged their views on what is happening around Russia and LIM, expressing their points of view. The opinions of the roundtable participants agreed that the change in the LIM policy was mainly due to two circumstances.
First, with the situation in Saudi Arabia, which continues to consider LIM as an instrument of its foreign policy and the kingdom’s desire to improve its image shaken by the actions of extremists in the eyes of the world community and dissociate itself from the activities of the radicals.
The second circumstance completely coincides with Russian interests: ultimately, religious moderation and patriotism are exactly the goals that the Russian Muslim community pursues, striving to develop the traditions of the national school of theology and confession of faith.