Thursday 27 June 2019
The Round Table "Cooperation Prospects of Russia with International Islamic Organizations"
On June 27th, 2019, a round table “Cooperation Prospects of Russia with International Islamic Organizations” was held at the Institute of Oriental Studies.
The round table was attended by the following officials:
- V.V. Naumkin, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, President of the Institute of Oriental Studies;
- Ph.D. V.A.Kuznetsov, the Head of the Center of Arab and Islamic Studies, Institute of Oriental Studies;
- R.B. Botashev, member of the International Affaires Committee of the State Duma of Russian Federation Federal Assembly (the deputy of the State Duma elected from the Karachay-Cherkess Republic, United Russia);
- G.Z. Omarov, member of the International Affairs Committee the State Duma of the Russian Federation Federal Assembly (State Duma deputy elected from the Republic of Bashkortostan);
- V.V. Popov, Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador;
- Dr. A.I. Yakovlev;
- Dr. G. Kosach;
- Ph.D. A.V. Sarabyev;
- Ph.D. M.Y. Roshchin;
- A.R. Krganov, Mufti of the Moscow Muslims Spiritual Administration;
- Priest D.V. Safonov - Ph.D., Candidate of Theology, DECR secretary for interfaith relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, Executive Secretary of the Interreligious Council of Russia
The main discussions themes were the prospects of interaction amid Russia and the World Islamic League (LIM).
The participants of the event noted that the previously existing negative perception of the World Islamic League and similar organizations in Russia, where their activities had been viewed as destructive and contrary to the national interests of the country, were changing that day. First of all, that was due to the policies change of these organizations. That day, they strove to demonstrate moderation, tolerance, and openness towards other religions.
Muhammad Abdalkarim Isa, the Secretary-General of the World Islamic League, expressed the positive assessments of religions peaceful coexistence during his visit to Russia in the spring of 2019. Thus, the meeting with Patriarch Kirill scheduled for July did fit into the general policy of the World Islamic League. As early as 2018, during the visit of Cardinal Jean Louis Toran to Saudi Arabia, cooperation agreements had been signed among the World Islamic League and the Cardinal.
During the discussion, the Round Table participants exchanged their views on what was happening around Russia and the World Islamic League, expressing their positions. The roundtable participants agreed that the change in the World Islamic League policy was mainly due to two circumstances.
First, with the situation in Saudi Arabia. This country continued to consider the World Islamic League as an instrument of its foreign policy and the kingdom’s desire to improve its image. The Saudi reputation was shaken by the actions of extremists in the eyes of the world community. The KSA government strove to dissociate the country from the fundamentalists actions.
The second circumstance completely coincided with the Russian interests. Religious moderation and patriotism were exactly the goals that the Russian Muslim community pursued, striving to develop the traditions of the national school of theology and faith confession.