2 ноября 2018 года
Academic Forum “Institute of Oriental Studies 200th Anniversary”
The Academic Forum commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Institute of Oriental Studies (est. 1818) was held in Moscow.
The commemoration events were organized by the Institute’s researchers and sponsored by Alisher Usmanov, a prominent entrepreneur, and his Arts, Science, and Sports charity foundation. The agenda included academic conferences on most of the Institute’s numerous fields of research:
- Islam in the Modern World: Doctrine and Community
- Mongolian Civilization in the Focus of Russian Oriental Studies
- Languages and Folklore of Southern Arabian Ethnicities: main directions of recent Russian and international studies
- The Current Issues of Tibetology and Buddhology
- The Current Situation of the Conflict in the South China Sea
- Geopolitics, the Nuclear Issue and the Middle East
- Peace & State – Building the Future of the Middle East
- 13th Conference of Arabists
- 200 Years of Classic Oriental Studies in Russia: Source Studies, Archives and Archeology:
- Achievements and Challenges in Development of Israel
- Development of Economies of Innovation in the Middle East
- Russia and India in Regional and Global Contexts
- Caucasian Albania in the Historical and Cultural Space of Eurasia
- The Past and Future of Russian Sinology
The Institute of Oriental Studies’ 200th Anniversary International Congress became the largest and most significant celebratory event. More than 600 prominent politicians, social activists, researchers and experts, both from Russia and all over the world, took part in it.
Dmitry Peskov, the Presidential Press Secretary, read a welcoming address from the President Vladimir Putin, at the ceremony. Mr.President had commended the Institute of Oriental Studies a crucial venue for Russian and international cultural, academic, and humanitarian development, expansion of partnership among Russia and the nations of the East.
Numerous Honored Guests of the Forum, such as Mikhail Bogdanov, the President of Russia’s Special Envoy for the Middle East and Deputy Foreign Minister, Leonid Slutsky, the Head of State Duma Committee for International Affairs, and Dr Amal Abou Zeid, a celebrated Lebanese social activist and politician, congratulated the staff of the Institute and greeted the participants of the Congress.
“The Ark of Knowledge”, a historical documentary on the Institute of Oriental Studies in Russia was created by the Congress’ management team. The film was shown as a part of the opening ceremony.